Saturday, May 9, 2009

Giro d'Italia




The 100th anniversary edition (92nd edition) of the Giro d'Italia began today. So it is only fitting to start our members page with a tie between FOG and the only North American rider to ever win the Giro, Andy Hampsten. Andy did so in 1988 after an epic stage through driving snow up the Gavia. Andy's Epic Day Interestingly, Andy grew up only two hours away in Grand Forks, North Dakota. He returned to Grand Forks in 2007 when Laura and I had the chance to meet him. As a competitive runner when I was younger, I always pictured cyclists as looking like Kurt Harnett. Little did I know. I'm 5'10" 147 lbs in the picture and Andy made me look muscle bound. I felt like Eric Zabel beside him. The most striking thing about Andy though was what a genuinely nice and humble guy he was. The smile never left his face.


No comments: